[Standards] Any ongoing work on VCard 4 ?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Mar 9 13:10:21 UTC 2010

On 3/9/10 1:53 AM, Laurent Eschenauer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just wondering if there is some ongoing activity in bringing vcard 4
> to xmpp once it is ready ?

Yes.

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-01

In fact http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-02

Right now the "activity" consists of tracking the Internet-Draft and
making sure it's in good shape. Please join the vcarddav list to provide
feedback at the IETF.

> If moving ahead with vcard-4, will this reside in XEP-0054 or should
> it be another extension ? Is there already a proposal out there ? If
> not.. I volunteer to write one and implement it.

We will need a new XEP for this. Feel free to get working on it. :)

http://xmpp.org/extensions/submit.shtml

> As you may be aware, we have initially decided to use Portable
> Contacts as our data model for users profiles in our Onesocialweb
> project (http://onesocialweb.org). However, now that we are
> implementing it, we realize that it is a total pain to extend and
> lacks strict specification with respect to the values of fields. If we
> are going to put effort into this, better for us to do it with a
> standard more likely to be used by the XMPP community at large and
> VCard 4 seems to be the right fit.

+1

> Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated !

Let's get to work. I can't wait to deprecate vcard-temp (which has been
"temp" since 1999).

https://stpeter.im/