[Standards] XEP-0184 business rules for message receipts

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 20:52:27 UTC 2010

TL;DR version:
1) I don't like sending to the bare JID, but I'll live with it if
someone talks me down.
2) We must be explicit about not sending to entities that don't support it.

Full version:

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> Thanks, Tuomas. Kevin Smith said he had some feedback about this
>> proposed text, so we're waiting for him to post to the list before the
>> Council approves version 1.1 of XEP-0184.
> Which I will do soon, hopefully today.

Ok, so...
I think
"Therefore this document does not define a protocol for complete
reliability or guaranteed delivery, and those who implement and deploy
this protocol need to be aware of its limitations." can be more
explicit and say what this really means, something like " As such it
is NOT RECOMMENDED that a client uses the lack of a delivered receipt
as an indication that a message has not been received, or should be
retransmitted".

"If receipts are desired, a sender SHOULD include a request for
message receipts on all messages, no matter whether sending to the
bare JID <localpart at domain.tld> of the recipient or the full JID
<localpart at domain.tld/resource>."

I've got two issues with this bit. The first is that I don't think
message receipts should be sent without knowing that the recipient
supports them I can be argued down on this, but I don't think blindly
spraying them gains us much. The second issue is that the above text
means you SHOULD send a request even when you know the recipient's
full JID's client doesn't support them. "While message receipts are
sent to the bare JID not knowing if the receiver will support this
extension, they should not be sent to a full JID when it is known that
the receiver does not support them." will sort the second issue.

"If a sender wishes to request message receipts, it SHOULD first
determine whether the intended recipient supports message receipts.
This can be done directly via Service Discovery or indirectly via
Entity Capabilities." was removed, but I think should be reinstated
with something like
"If a sender wishes to request message receipts, it SHOULD first
determine whether the intended recipient supports message receipts.
This can be done directly via Service Discovery or indirectly via
Entity Capabilities. When sending to a bare JID, it will not be
possible to determine if the recipient supports message receipts."

"A sender MAY include a request for message receipts even if it has
not been able to determine if the intended recipient supports message
receipts. This can be done directly via Service Discovery or
indirectly via Entity Capabilities." +  "but MUST NOT include a
request where it has been able to determine that the intended
recipient does not support message receipts" or such would solve a lot
of my above issues.

/K