[Standards] A "broadcast" attribute to <messages/> ?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 12 11:18:43 UTC 2010

On Fri Mar 12 11:11:01 2010, Nicolas Vérité wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:07, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net>
> wrote:
> > On Fri Mar 12 10:52:06 2010, Laurent Eschenauer wrote:
> >>
> >> Am I missing a point ? Any other work or proposal already
> tackling this ?
> >

> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-3921bis-05.html#message-syntax-type
> >
> > * headline -- [...] The receiving server SHOULD deliver the
> message to all
> > of the recipient's available resources.HTH,
>
> It will not be an offline message though, right?

Well, it's a server-side policy decision that's optional, see:

http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-3921bis-05.html#rules-barejid-noresource-message

[...] [It] MUST either (a) add the message to offline storage or (b)
silently discard the message [...].

In the case of M-Link, for instance, it's a personal option with a
server-wide default, which is in turn off by default, since that
seemed to be the common behaviour.

So yes, headline may be problematic in terms of offline storage.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/