[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 12 11:57:12 UTC 2010

On Sat Mar  6 09:33:25 2010, Pedro Melo wrote:
> Besides, this is a trivial XEP. The C2S already has your IP address,
> so its easier to ask your server for it.

That's not actually clear to me.

In the majority of our deployments, M-Link sits in a DMZ, with
routable access to client IP addresses, such that it sees internal
addresses rather than external. I have no reason to think that in
this respect, our customers are different from anyone else's. Since
the majority of the clients connect from internal addresses, it
follows that this protocol will return the wrong address in the
majority of cases for the majority of deployments.

I understand the need for this XEP, but it would be useful to
acknowledge that STUN exists and is preferable (since STUN servers
will be explicitly located to avoid the aforementioned problem) - the
current XEP doesn't have any mention of STUN, which is a little
alarming.

For one thing, suggesting that this will usefully indicate to clients
that they are located behind a NAT isn't true if the server is also
located behind the same NAT...

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/