[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

thiagoc barata7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:22:10 UTC 2010

This is indeed a trivial XEP, for Audio, it can help know if the
client is behind a NAT, yes. Does it says it is the same NAT to be
used when user places a Voice Call over UDP? Absolutely not. But I'm
quite convinced that it can give hints.

But I still see a point on it, which is when we may have deployment of
XMPP Servers, which can have provide Hints about NAT, without STUN
requirement. (Yes, we all know STUN is more reliable for UDP).
The goal for me is not to have the retrieve IP as Jingle Candidate,
but how will I describe my local address type. This is specially
useful for gateway between Jingle and SIP for instance. Where u can
have a hint, that the call should be proxies as the client knows for
sure he is behind a NAT. (Considering 99% of all SIP deployments does
not support ICE properly)

Unfortunately we still need to think about SIP deployment compatibility.