[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Nicolas Vérité nicolas.verite at process-one.net
Fri Mar 12 14:15:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 14:02, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 10:37, Nicolas Vérité <nicolas.verite at process-one.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 19:53, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
>>> Version 0.1 of XEP-0279 (Server IP Check) has been released.
>>>
>>> Abstract: This specification defines a simple XMPP extension that enables a client to discover its external IP address.
>>>
>>> Changelog: Initial published version. (psa)
>>>
>>> Diff: N/A

>> I am really confused here: Are we reinventing the wheel? Why add this
>> entropy? STUN is there, well thought out, coded and strongly tested,
>> though maybe a bit complex. If we (improve and) accept this XEP, then
>> what CAN/SHOULD/MUST clients and/or servers implement then? STUN
>> and/or SIC?
>
> If they're looking for media relay candidates, STUN.

You meant TURN? This has not much to do with our thread here.

> I think the XEP needs to be updated to make this clear. Could the
> people interested in seeing this XEP implemented perhaps suggest some
> alternative text for the introduction?

The intro might not be the place to work out most in this phase. I
believe we first need to address philosophy issues (iq or stream
feature?), then setup rules for clients and servers developers saying
what to use first, and what else as a fallback.
--
Nicolas Vérité - ProcessOne
http://process-one.net