[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Nicolas Vérité nicolas.verite at process-one.net
Fri Mar 12 14:24:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 14:22, thiagoc <barata7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is indeed a trivial XEP

Maybe too trivial? ;-) I wouldn't say naive... ;-)

>, for Audio, it can help know if the
> client is behind a NAT, yes.

I would rather say it might help. The chances it helps are quite low
as I understand it now. Do we want that overhead for just adding a few
chances? Please tell me if I am pessimistic ;-)

> Does it says it is the same NAT to be
> used when user places a Voice Call over UDP? Absolutely not. But I'm
> quite convinced that it can give hints.
>
> But I still see a point on it, which is when we may have deployment of
> XMPP Servers, which can have provide Hints about NAT, without STUN
> requirement. (Yes, we all know STUN is more reliable for UDP).
> The goal for me is not to have the retrieve IP as Jingle Candidate,
> but how will I describe my local address type. This is specially
> useful for gateway between Jingle and SIP for instance. Where u can
> have a hint, that the call should be proxies as the client knows for
> sure he is behind a NAT. (Considering 99% of all SIP deployments does
> not support ICE properly)
>
> Unfortunately we still need to think about SIP deployment compatibility.

STUN? (joking... ;-) )
--
Nicolas Vérité - ProcessOne
http://process-one.net