[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 12 15:17:35 UTC 2010

On Fri Mar 12 14:32:48 2010, thiagoc wrote:
> IMHO, I'm ok and satisfied using such feature as an IQ. That solves
> all the gaps it is meant for.
> I do not see reasons to do not have it. As it is simple, optional
> and clean.

It is *not* simple - it is simple to implement, but very hard to
implement correctly such that it solves the problem in the way it
claims. If the problem, and its solution, really *were* this simple,
and covered sufficient deployment cases, then it seems likely that
STUN would not exist.

This is a highly limited specification, and it needs clear
documentation that this is the case at the least.

(It is clean, I'll grant you, and - as a XEP - it is of course
strictly optional...)

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/