[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 20 11:04:44 UTC 2010

On 20.03.2010, at 11:48, Väisänen Teemu wrote:

> What do you think about the following:
>
> The server knows client's IP address, so what if the server would also
> check country, operator, etc. and send some (location) related
> information back to the client, if the client requested these types of
> information, not just an IP address? Would another XEP be required, or
> could it be added to this XEP-0279 or even to XEP-0080?
>
> Another solution is of course to do all this in the client (using
> external services) after the client has received its own IP address
> from the server.

I think this either belongs in XEP-0080 for the location distribution and the determination of location into XEP-0255, like shown in http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0255.html#example-5 . One sure could add some server side magic to add additional location information so clients have to provide as minimal as possible, which is desirable in some environments.
However I think that his topic deserves a different thread since it has little to do with the IP of a client. In the end you are interested in the actual geographical location and not network location.

Cheers,
Tobias

--
Tobias Markmann