[Standards] XEP-0184 1.1rc7

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue Mar 30 14:20:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 15:40 +0200, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> > As each message is in a stream with a particular direction
>
> Well, not really. Clients usually generate IDs based on some simple
> algorithm, and don't take into account IDs from incoming messages. For
> example, 2 clients with a simple incrementing counter would give this:
>
> C1->C2: (id=1) <body>hi there</body>
> C2->C1: (id=1) <body>hello</body><request-receipt/>
> C1->C2: (id=1) <request-received/>
>
> C1 sent two normal messages with id=1: the first one generated from
> the auto-incrementing number algorithm, the second one mirroring the
> message from the incoming message.

What you're saying could cause similar issues with normal iq's as well,
with the exception that error stanzas cannot result in error replies.

As I said before, I don't think stuff is breaking on this or will in the
future. Clients typically don't track messages on their IDs. Also,
client disconnects cause messages to go to other resources, etc, so it
is very easy to end up in a situation where the unicity of the ids is
broken in general.

ralphm