[Standards] XMPP and Webfinger discovery ?

Laurent Eschenauer laurent at eschenauer.be
Sat May 1 08:32:21 UTC 2010

I was wondering if there is any proposal out there to handle
aliasing/defering of JIDs. Let me explain:

- my JID is eschnou at vodafonernd.com
- I own the domain eschnou.com but that is a cheap shared hosting box,
only HTTP there...
- I would like my JID to be im at eschnou.com, but the service to be
delegated to eschnou at vodafonernd.com

A couple ideas:

- XMPP servers could support Webfinger discovery ? (Any Wenfinger XMPP
work our there ?)
- Another for of XRDS-Simple discover on the root domain (but that is
less flexible)
- Another element for DNS SRV ?

Any other ideas ? I think my preferred one would be the Webfinger one
to align with what seems to become the industry standard to defer
accounts identifers to specific services.

Any major implications server side ? Wrt security ? I havn't thought
through this yet.

Cheers,

Laurent