[Standards] XEP-0225 Component Connections - namespaces again

Artur Hefczyc artur.hefczyc at tigase.org
Sat May 1 16:48:12 UTC 2010

I have already mentioned about the issue here in another thread but
I think it is best to discuss it separately.

The XEP uses 'jabber:client' namespace which is great as it avoid
xmlns problems I have recently encountered with s2s connections
and XEP-0114 connections.

I have implemented the XEP in the Tigase server and it supports
both multiple connections on single port, domains bindings, etc...
There is one significant problem though.

The XEP uses the same exact elements and namespace for protocol
handshaking (authentication, tls, etc....) as the client to server connection.

This makes it actually impossible to put c2s connection managers behind
XEP-0225 link as then there is no way to reliably detect whether the
SASL or starttls comes from the client or from the component on the
other side of the link.
Of course we can guess (the link is already authenticated to this SASL
request must come from the client) but this is not a good way to do it.

My suggestion is to modify the XEP to simply say something like this:
All packets with top-level element within namespace 'urn:xmpp:component:0'
are the XEP-0225 handshaking stanzas, all packets within 'jabber:client'
are the client stanzas which should be forwarded to/from external component.

Ideally this approach could be adopted for all other connections
(s2s, xep-0114, etc....). I know that's not going to happen any time soon though.

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc
http://www.tigase.org/