[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Carbons

Tory Patnoe tpatnoe at cisco.com
Mon May 3 20:14:01 UTC 2010

On 05/01/2010 12:37 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 4/30/10 9:41 AM, "Jonathan Schleifer"<js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org>
> wrote:
>

>> I only had a short look at it now in the bus, but after that short read, it
>> seems like my phone would ring every time I get a message, even though there's
>> another resource where I actually read the message? If I understood it right,
>> it's missing some way to tell the other resources that you "accepted" a
>> converstaion and are having it on this resource. It should also be possible to
>> release a conversation again so that all resources receive it - for example if
>> the window is closed or there was no message for a specified amount of time.
>>
> I suppose you could combine it with Mine-ing to get that behavior.

I sent an email to this thread but it was blocked because I used the
wrong email address. Sorry.

I don't think you need to combing Mine'ing in this. You already get the
information in another client because you have the carbon's tag in the
CC'ed message:

Example 13. Romeo's OTHER Carbons-enabled clients receive a copy:

    <message
         to='juliet at example.com/balcony'
         from='romeo at example.net/home'
         type='chat'>
       <thread>0e3141cd80894871a68e6fe6b1ec56fa</thread>
       <sent  xmlns='urn:xmpp:carbons:0'/>
    </message>

So the client in this case is miss behaving since the client already
knows you are responding from another resource. The clients will need to
be smart and disable the "ring" when other resources are in the
conversation.

Though right now this can only be time based as far as I can tell. So if
you have a conversation and then it stops for 15min and you buddy
messages you again. You should get another "ring".

Tory