[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Carbons

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Tue May 4 00:58:05 UTC 2010

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile

-----Original message-----
From: Tory Patnoe <tpatnoe at cisco.com>
To: Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand at webex.com>
Cc: XMPP Standards <standards at xmpp.org>
Sent: 2010 May, Mon, 3 23:42:17 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Carbons

On 05/03/2010 04:37 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> 2) On your forked inbound messages, where another resource is processing
> this thread.  For this one, we also have enough information as long as the
> sending client is doing resource locking.  When the to address is a full JID
> where the resource is different from this one, the client doesn't beep.  If
> the sending client is always sending to the bare JID, then we either have to
> rely on mining or typing indicators for a hint that another resource is the
> primary target.

Joe,

My point on this one was the "timed approach". If the contact's client is
just sending to the bare-jid, and your phone sees that you are responding
from another resource, start a timer and reset whenever your other
resource responds. If another message arrives from the contact's contact
within that time, don't beep.

Tory