[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Carbons

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Tue May 4 01:05:59 UTC 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 18:58, Matthew A. Miller wrote:

> Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile
> Joe,
>
> My point on this one was the "timed approach". If the contact's client is
> just sending to the bare-jid, and your phone sees that you are responding
> from another resource, start a timer and reset whenever your other
> resource responds. If another message arrives from the contact's contact
> within that time, don't beep.
>
> Tory

What I meant to say is that timing alone is imprecise, and often ends up being wrong from a user's perspective.  Using typing indicators may be enough, if carbonized clients are also required to support <gone/> (and possibly <inactive/>) to indicate the end of a conversation.

I still fret about a client receiving messages with a "to" that is not its own resource, but I'd need to think about that one more before I can venture anything concrete.

- LW