[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0255 (Location Query)

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Fri May 7 19:50:38 UTC 2010

>- The <publish/> element is more or less lost in the geo data. It also
>doesn't take into account the possibility of publishing geolocation to
>certain roster groups only.

I've implemented this partially on the server and mobile client sides. I
think that the "publish" element (option?) isn't needed. Presumably it was
added to the XEP to reduce the number of request/responses needed to publish
a location. Without it you would need:

Client ---> XEP-0255 query ---> Location Server
Client <--- XEP-0255 query --- Location Server
Client ---> XEP-0080 publish ---> Geoloc/PEP Server

With the publish option you could eliminate the last two stanzas. However it
seems to me that it would increase the complexity of the server side
implementation since the location server would need to be able to publish to
the geoloc pep node. I would go further and recommend this "publish" option
be removed from the XEP.

thanks