[Standards] MUC delays

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 09:16:19 UTC 2010

I have vague memories of intending to say this before, so apologies if
it's a resend.

In 45, there's the following block of text:
"""Discussion history messages MUST be stamped with Delayed Delivery
[11] information qualified by the 'urn:xmpp:delay' namespace to
indicate that they are sent with delayed delivery and to specify the
times at which they were originally sent... The 'from' attribute
SHOULD be the full JID of the original sender in non-anonymous rooms,
but MUST NOT be in semi-anonymous rooms (where the 'from' attribute
SHOULD be set to the JID of the room itself). ""

It seems to me that the delay should always be stamped with the room's
JID, not with the sender's JID (the sender may themselves want to
attach a delay to the stanza to signify when they originally sent it),
as it's the room doing the stamping. I realise that the stamping with
the full JID also allows people to see who sent the original messages,
but I think this overloading is breaking the primary use of delay - I
suggest we add another element to the history to say who originally
sent the message. I also note that the above text means that people
who would otherwise be able to see full-JIDs in semi-anonymous rooms
don't get to see the full jid on delays.

/K