[Standards] [XEP-0258] Restrictive catalogs and "no label" stanzas

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 22:43:38 UTC 2010

>From the XEP:

###
If catalog is restrictive, as indicated by the restrictive attribute
with value of true, the client SHOULD use one of the labels (or no
label) offered by the catalog.

One and only one of the items may have a default attribute with value
of true. The client should default to this item in cases where the
user has not selected an item.

An item may have no label. Such an item offers a choice of sending a
stanza without a label.
###

When initially reading the first sentence it seems like a client could
choose to use one of the supplied labels, or it could choose to use no
label.

Then the last sentence says a catalog may explicitly include the
choice of "no label".

So my question is this... in a restrictive catalog without the "no
label" option, should the client be able to send stanzas without a
label?

If yes, why would we need the ability to offer "no label" as a catalog entry?

If no, the first sentence could probably be clarified. Also, I'm not
sure if this would even make sense given that clients that do not
support this XEP wouldn't know about the restriction anyway and might
still send with no label.

Thoughts?

Matthew