[Standards] XEP-0045 message ids

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:01:21 UTC 2010

On 10 November 2010 12:30, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> If a client sends a chatroom a message, and that message has an id, should
> outbound messages from the chatroom to the occupants use the same id?
>
> Doing so has obvious implications on id uniqueness, but apparently most
> implementations preserve the id, and the result is that at least one client
> implementation is relying on this behaviour.
>
> Personally, I consider the two stanzas - occupant to MUC, and MUC to
> occupants - to be distinct, just having the same (or similar, at least)
> payloads - and therefore have different ids (indeed, different per
> occupant). Everyone else seems to consider this a silly idea.

I'm one of the people who believes it a silly idea.

When I send a stanza to a room, that same stanza is being broadcast to
multiple recipients - I see no reason the id should differ for each
recipient.

If the sender chooses to generate unique ids on their stream then
uniqueness is preserved per JID pair. Error tracking is not a problem
when this is taken into account.

Matthew