[Standards] XEP-0045 message ids

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 14:20:09 UTC 2010

On 10/11/10 14:01, Matthew Wild wrote:
> I'm one of the people who believes it a silly idea.
>
> When I send a stanza to a room, that same stanza is being broadcast to
> multiple recipients - I see no reason the id should differ for each
> recipient.
>
> If the sender chooses to generate unique ids on their stream then
> uniqueness is preserved per JID pair. Error tracking is not a problem
> when this is taken into account.

I'm on this side of the fence, too. I see the stanza as being broadcast
by the MUC to all members, not a user sending a stanza to the service
and then the service sending a remarkably similar stanza to all occupants.

Regarding uniqueness: as Matthew says, if a client wants to track send
errors reliably for itself, it needs to generate reasonably unique
identifiers. And as far as recipients are concerned, they don't know
anything about the uniqueness of incoming messages' identifiers—just as
for 1-1 messages. (Annoying, but there we go.)

Regards,
--
Will