[Standards] XEP-0045 message ids

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Wed Nov 10 15:10:56 UTC 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 05:30 , Dave Cridland wrote:

> If a client sends a chatroom a message, and that message has an id, should outbound messages from the chatroom to the occupants use the same id?
>
> Doing so has obvious implications on id uniqueness, but apparently most implementations preserve the id, and the result is that at least one client implementation is relying on this behaviour.
>
> Personally, I consider the two stanzas - occupant to MUC, and MUC to occupants - to be distinct, just having the same (or similar, at least) payloads - and therefore have different ids (indeed, different per occupant). Everyone else seems to consider this a silly idea.

I'm going to assume by "message" we mean <message type='groupchat'/>, intended for broadcast to the other room occupants.

I'm of the opinion that ids need only be preserved to their intended endpoints; in this case, that would be from the occupant to the room.  If the room decides to "respond" to the <message/> with an error, it SHOULD use the same id in the offending message.  But once accepted for redistribution, I think it's up to the MUC implementation if the original <message/> ids are preserved.

And in general, I've found very few cases where tracking ids on <message/>s was worthwhile, and just about none with regards to MUC.

- m&m