[Standards] XEP-0045 message ids

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Nov 10 19:17:48 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 04:30:20 Dave Cridland wrote:
> If a client sends a chatroom a message, and that message has an id,
> should outbound messages from the chatroom to the occupants use the
> same id?
>
> Doing so has obvious implications on id uniqueness, but apparently
> most implementations preserve the id, and the result is that at least
> one client implementation is relying on this behaviour.
>
> Personally, I consider the two stanzas - occupant to MUC, and MUC to
> occupants - to be distinct, just having the same (or similar, at
> least) payloads - and therefore have different ids (indeed, different
> per occupant). Everyone else seems to consider this a silly idea.
>
> I'll go along with whatever people think - but it's something else to
> add to XEP-0045, whichever way people decide.

The other day in jdev we were discussing using message ids to assist in
creating a hierarchical tree of messages within a MUC room.  This would mean
the MUC enforcing uniqueness of ids sent out to participants (so that every
past message is uniquely identifiable), and then participants could choose a
"parent" message id when sending new messages to the MUC room.  So this is at
least one use-case that would demand the MUC being able to rewrite the id.

-Justin