[Standards] [REQ] Offline Status Messages for XMPP

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Mon Nov 15 20:12:36 UTC 2010

Am 15.11.2010 21:10, schrieb Maciek Niedzielski:
> On Monday 15 November 2010 20:42:27 cxzadw fsdfzxca wrote:
>> Hi.
> Hello,
>
>> I don't know if this is a right place to ask, but when XMPP will have
>> support for Offline Status Messages ?
>
> Long time ago, you could simply send
> <presence from='romeo at example.net/orchard'
>               type='unavailable'
>               xml:lang='en'>
>       <status>be back on monday</status>
>     </presence>
> and your server would store this message and send it to your friends when they
> query for your presence. But new servers don't support it.
> While storing such status message was never defined as a feature, I think it
> was never forbidden either. But I don't know new RFCs.

The feature was defined in RFC 3921 under 5.1.3:

Else, if the contact has no available resources, the server MUST either
(1) reply to the presence probe by sending to the user the full XML of
the last presence stanza of type "unavailable" received by the server
from the contact, or (2) not reply at all.

Many server implementations do (2) unfortunately.