[Standards] [REQ] Offline Status Messages for XMPP

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:18:34 UTC 2010

On 15 November 2010 20:12, Philipp Hancke <fippo at goodadvice.pages.de> wrote:
> Am 15.11.2010 21:10, schrieb Maciek Niedzielski:
>>
>> On Monday 15 November 2010 20:42:27 cxzadw fsdfzxca wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I don't know if this is a right place to ask, but when XMPP will have
>>> support for Offline Status Messages ?
>>
>> Long time ago, you could simply send
>> <presence from='romeo at example.net/orchard'
>>              type='unavailable'
>>              xml:lang='en'>
>>      <status>be back on monday</status>
>>    </presence>
>> and your server would store this message and send it to your friends when
>> they
>> query for your presence. But new servers don't support it.
>> While storing such status message was never defined as a feature, I think
>> it
>> was never forbidden either. But I don't know new RFCs.
>
> The feature was defined in RFC 3921 under 5.1.3:

It's in 3921bis section 4.3.2, case #3:

       Else, if the contact has no available resources,
       [...]
       If appropriate in accordance with local security policies this
       presence notification MAY include the full XML of the last
       unavailable presence stanza that the server received from the
       contact (including the 'id' of the original stanza), but if not
       then the presence notification SHOULD simply indicate that the
       contact is unavailable without any of the details originally
       provided.  In any case the presence notification returned to the
       probing entity SHOULD include information about the time when the
       last unavailable presence stanza was generated

Regards,
Matthew