[Standards] Date time values in XEP54, vcard?

Peter Flindt newsgroups at lastwebpage.de
Tue Oct 12 19:35:51 UTC 2010

Hello,
seems to me http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0054.html contain some false
examples (And the RFC http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426 too)

E.g. from the XEP:
<BDAY>1966-08-06</BDAY>
Example in the RFC:
BDAY:1996-04-15

BUT:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev/ and
http://dotat.at/tmp/ISO_8601-2004_E.pdf
Say the format is the ISO basic format YYYYMMDD

The format 1966-08-06 is US specific, here in Germany it's 08.06.1966
as a result the field for the birthday is an text input field where the
user can enter anything and the other side display it in text too, or
try to convert the textformat in a local format, that can fail too.

I guess the phone numbers in the vCard have a standard too and I not
trust the example <NUMBER>303-555-1212</NUMBER>.

However, what should a client do?