[Standards] Date time values in XEP54, vcard?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 10:33:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 at 21:35:51 +0200, Peter Flindt wrote:
> The format 1966-08-06 is US specific

YYYY-MM-DD is another form of ISO-8601 date; in the USA dates are
conventionally MM/DD/YYYY (particularly confusing if you're from the UK,
where dates are conventionally DD/MM/YYYY).

It'd be good if the example in the XEP had a day number higher than 12
(1966-08-16 or something) to make it obvious which bit is meant to be the day,
though.

> I guess the phone numbers in the vCard have a standard too and I not
> trust the example <NUMBER>303-555-1212</NUMBER>.

In principle, refer to ITU-T E.123 (see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.123>).
In practice, you can't really assume anything about the format of a phone
number: just treat it as an opaque blob of text until/unless you need to
dial it.