[Standards] hierarchical MUC permissions

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri Oct 15 17:11:55 UTC 2010

On Friday 15 October 2010 00:54:30 Dave Cridland wrote:
> I'd be inclined to stick with this pattern, too - add domain-level
> affiliations in a more general way, include them in protocol (we
> currently use a magic room in MUC), and not try to expose them (very
> much) in the affiliation lists of the node/rooms.

Okay, so setting affiliations with scopes.  Maybe to handle domain scope you'd
just do the same admin protocol exchanges against the MUC domain JID instead
of a room JID?

For example, here could be adding user at example.com as a domain-wide admin:

<iq type="set" to="conference.example.com" id="1">
  <query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#admin">
    <item affiliation="admin" jid="user at example.com"/>
  </query>
</iq>

I agree that in general it would be confusing to differentiate admins of
different scopes in a client UI, but we have this need, so I'd like for it to
be possible.  What about this:

<presence from="room at conference.example.com/user_nick">
  <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user">
    <item affiliation="admin" scope="domain" role="moderator"/>
  </x>
</presence>

-Justin