[Standards] Message delivered time

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 07:19:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Leon Roy <leon.roy at gltd.net> wrote:
> We're coding new XMPP clients which report to each other the time a message
> is read by the far party.

At the moment, XEP-0184 is worded ambiguously about whether it deals
with delivery notifications, or read notifications. It's been my
intention for a while to submit a patch that makes it clear that it's
delivery receipts (list discussion had consensus that this was the
intent), and to write a very similar XEP that deals with read receipts
- I think this is what you want, rather than using 184. As always with
these intentions, I've not gotten around to it yet. So if I were you
at the moment, I'd do something very like 184 (which you've clearly
already picked up), but in a different namespace, and to then add
delay elements, as Waqas suggests.

/K