[Standards] Message delivered time

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sun Oct 17 10:20:44 UTC 2010

On Sun Oct 17 10:13:50 2010, Michael Laukner wrote:
> The second is from the CDCIE chat protocol.  It's of the form:
>      <x xmlns='jabber:x:tstamp' tstamp="CCYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.sssZ/>
> For example:
>      <x xmlns='jabber:x:tstamp' tstamp="2008-03-10T12:43:18.002Z/>

I'd note that this one, at least, is actually used much like the
"signing time" explicitly defined in XEP-0285 - and presumably Kurt's
new proposal will have the same.

A bare timestamp has the problem that there's no semantic behind it
defining what the timestamp is for - the current time of the entity,
the sending time, the time the signature was added - all might be
subtley different.

It's not clear from CDCIE, as I recall, whether the timestamp there
is the original send time or the signing time, but - again, as I
recall - CDCIE always assumes signatures are only from the original
sender.

But in any case, I've been persuaded that XEP-0203 is the model to
follow - that is, a timestamp should always be accompanied by
something that tells us what it's for.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/