[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Federated MUC for constrained environments

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 08:22:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM, luca tagliaferri
<luca.tagliaferri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Il 20/10/2010 17.28, XMPP Extensions Editor ha scritto:
>>
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Federated MUC for constrained environments
>>
>> Abstract: This document provides a protocol for reducing the bandwidth
>> cost of local users contributing to a remote MUC over a constrained link
>> through local proxying of the MUC room.

>> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering how much bandwidth is avoided thanks to this approach.
> I mean is the bandwidth saved only in the case in which all the muc users
> are handled by the proxied muc service ? Isn't it ?

This largely saves bandwidth when there are multiple users (not all
the users, only multiple) connected from the same proxy, or where the
fire and forget mode is used and the users on the proxy service say
something. The interesting thing, mainly, is that it saves
round-trips, which are expensive, rather than bandwidth, which can be
helped with compression.

/K