[Standards] MUC with a tree of messages

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Oct 26 00:10:53 UTC 2010

In our system we assign ids to messages, and messages can optionally have
parent ids.  This allows for representing a hierarchical tree of messages in a
MUC.  These ids are indicated with our own namespaced XML.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this nested messages stuff a little more
"standard".  One idea is to use the <thread> element.  Every message could
have a unique thread value, and use the parent attribute to specify parent
messages as necessary.  Although this would work, the idea of every message
having a unique thread value runs counter to how <thread> is/was intended to
be used: sharing a thread value across many messages.

I also wonder about the best way to specify a parent when submitting a
comment.  Would it be legal for a <thread> to have a parent attribute but no
text node?

I imagine a protocol like this:

Client submits message to MUC, specifying id of parent message (but notably
does NOT attempt to assert an id for itself)

  <message to="muc">
    <thread parent="1"/>
  </message>

MUC assigns an id to the message (in this case, "2"), and echos back to
everyone in the room:

  <message from="muc">
    <thread parent="1">2</thread>
  </message>

If this is a violation of how <thread> should be used, then I'd be interested
in alternative suggestions.

-Justin