[Standards] Reliable message delivery (XEP-0198 and XEP-0184)

Simon Tennant (buddycloud) simon at buddycloud.com
Wed Oct 27 14:38:40 UTC 2010

More XMPP clients are being built to run on mobile networks. Message
reliability on mobile clients has never been great and a good way to
detect message loss and recover is very important. We need good server
implementations of these specs.

We are at the point where we may have competing specs. XEP-0198 and
ProcessOne's TextOne subset specification.

I'm aware that Prosody has an implementation of this and that M-Link has
also been working on XEP-0198 support.

Is there a way that we can avoid multiple implementations by addressing
the Mickaël's issues https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-532
(message replay, mixing of concepts)?

I'm a firm believer in implementing something first and then writing a
spec based on the learnings; could some of the existing implementers
please comment on the perceived deficiencies of XEP-0198 and XEP-0184?

Do parts of the spec need to change?

What can we do to avoid competing XEPs?

S.
--