[Standards] vCard4: IQ vs. PEP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Apr 6 17:32:49 UTC 2011

A few minutes ago I published an Internet-Draft that specifies a vCard
KIND of "thing" (instead of "individual" etc.) for use by entities such
as XMPP servers or MUC rooms. This made me think again about whether we
want to use IQs (as in vcard-temp) or PEP (as currently in XEP-0292) as
the way to transport vCard4 data over XMPP. It seems to me that PEP
might make sense for individuals, but not for things like servers or MUC
rooms.

One approach might be to use IQs for vCard publication and retrieval,
but a special PEP node for notifications that a vCard has changed (if
anyone cares).

Thoughts?

/psa

[1] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-saintandre-vcard-thing-00.txt