[Standards] MUC actor

Florent Le Coz louiz at louiz.org
Fri Apr 8 18:56:27 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 05:24 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
> I think being able to use a nickname for the actor is a decent enough
> middle ground to be reasonable. It turns out it is not that hard to do
> protocol-wise either. The <actor> element currently has a 'jid'
> attribute, and we can add a 'nick' attribute as well.

I totally agree with that. Using a “nick” attribute seems a good solution.

> The only downside to this is backwards-compatibility. I haven't tested
> any, but it might upset some clients to see an <actor> with no 'jid'.

The server could still set a “jid” attribute, for backward
compatibility, but with the room fulljid instead.

<actor nick='MattJ' jid='prosody at conference.prosody.im/MattJ' /> on an
anonymous room.
<actor nick='MattJ' jid='mattj at realserver.com' /> on a non-anonymous one.

That would not break existing clients, and fix the “privacy issue” even
with them.

What do you think?

--
louiz’