[Standards] XEP-0178 1.1rc3

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed Apr 20 13:42:11 UTC 2011

>>> I am not sure if backward compability really matters, the last time I
>>> checked I offered EXTERNAL to three servers... jabber.org,
>>> dave.cridland.net and some host running prosody.
>>
>> Right. Let's get some feedback Dave Cridland and Matthew Wild, at the
>> least. I'm not sure that we have any implementations with which to be
>> backward compatible. :)
>
> Please see the latest version, reflecting what I think is the consensus
> from list discussions:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0178-1.1.html
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0178/diff/1.0/vs/1.1rc4

Not related to the diff, but I just spotted this:
S2S step 9: no match -> close => MAY close or may allow dialback?

S2S step 10: I think MUST NOT is too strong. After all, XMPP is
deployed using the EXTERNAL mechanism (see the xmppwg charter :-), so
we can not change the rules that way.
MAY include (for interop reasons) with a note that a future version may
remove this (actually I think that EXTERNAL will be deprecated in favor
of d-w-d before that happens)? That way we have a clear migration path.

Note #7 is obsolete, that spec is 0238 - which is deprecated so it does
not make sense to add a reference.