[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: JSON Content Type support

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Apr 26 11:28:22 UTC 2011

On Wed Apr 20 16:35:55 2011, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: JSON Content Type support
>
> Abstract: This specification defines JavaScript Object Notation
> (JSON) use in XMPP service.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept
> this proposal as an official XEP.

And XEP-0292 isn't good enough?

There's three problems I see with this.

1) It's extremely underspecified. '$' and '$$' are, for instance,
never specified.

2) This doesn't really mean that you don't need an XML parser,
because you still need to process XMLNS rules, etc. If you *don't* -
ie, if the JSON encoding expands all namespaces, then the data sizes
will increase vastly.

3) It's not at all clear to me that the mapping is truly reversible
or complete. I would expect each DOM node to have representation, and
it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm not a massive XML fan, to be honest. If we length-delimited
stanzas and used a clean header format, I'd be happier. But the fact
is that we *do* use XML, and removing XML entirely just seems like a
path without any clear merit.

In particular, it's not clear what JSON encoded XMLstreams actually
gains us, given the limitations of the JSON encoded XML and the
prevelance of XML throughout the deployed network.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/