[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: JSON Content Type support

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 13:45:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 at 15:35:55 +0000, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Abstract: This specification defines JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) use in XMPP service.

This XEP uses an unassigned MIME type in the IANA namespace, which I don't
think is appropriate for Standards Track. "application/jsonrequest" is not an
IANA-assigned MIME type although (RFC 4627 registered "application/json").

This abuse of the MIME type as an "evil bit" seems to come from a proposal
<http://json.org/JSONRequest.html> from the author of RFC 4627, last
updated in 2009. I can't find any evidence that browsers actually implement
this API, apart from a proof-of-concept Firefox addon; Firefox implements
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/> and <http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest2/>
instead of JSONRequest.

It seems to me as though using new HTTP headers would be far more appropriate
than inventing a spurious MIME type for this sort of thing (and indeed CORS
and XMLHttpRequest2 do exactly that), and if a new MIME type has technical
or social advantages that I'm not seeing, it should at least be registered
with IANA.