[Standards] RFC vs privacy lists

Yann Leboulanger asterix at lagaule.org
Wed Apr 27 17:54:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a problem with privacy list on an ejabberd server, and developers
are right to say there is a problem in the standards:

Let's say I configure a list to block all IQ for jid with
subscription=none (nice anti-spam rule).
Now I don't get any iq answer to, let's say, disco#info on my server.
That's normal because RFC [1] says that "Privacy lists MUST be the first
delivery rule applied by a server, superseding ..."

But RFC also says that every IQ MUST have an answer...

In this situation Gajim cannot connect to the server because it waits
for the disco#info answer to know server features.

In this situation, prosody return a service-unavailable iq error.

So what's the best solution and could we improve RFC about that?

[1] http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#rfc.section.10.2

--
Yann