[Standards] RFC vs privacy lists

Yann Leboulanger asterix at lagaule.org
Wed Apr 27 20:25:12 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 10:00 PM, Remko Tronçon wrote:
>> If a user setup this rule it's because he doesn't want spam. And if server
>> don't block result|error, user can be spammed of iq result for ex
>
> According to xep-0016:
> "
> The allowable child elements are:
> <message/>  -- blocks incoming message stanzas
> <iq/>  -- blocks incoming IQ stanzas
> <presence-in/>  -- blocks incoming presence notifications
> <presence-out/>  -- blocks outgoing presence notifications"
>
> So, privacy lists is only about incoming IQ, and assumes that the
> client will not send outgoing IQs to contacts it's blocking (which
> assumes the client knows the semantics about privacy lists).

So a client is not allowed to send an iq to its server if this anti-spam
rule is set?

problem: I cannot ask to my server if it supports privacy rules
(disco#info), so I cannot know if it supports privacy rules, so I
shouldn't request them. Maybe I'm not able to send iq without to(I
cannot use server side history manager, I cannot use metacontacts, nor
request my roster, nor anything, all that are iq sent to myself (I'm not
myself in my roster))

In any case if it's what a client should do, that should be mentionned
somewhere I think. it's not obvious to me that if I block all incoming
iq, I'm not allowed to send any.

--
Yann