[Standards] XEP-0198 status

Ben Schumacher ben.schumacher at webex.com
Mon Feb 14 17:56:48 UTC 2011

> On 2/12/11 2:46 AM, Ben Schumacher wrote:
>> What I mean is, is the "location" also simply an address/hostname and
>> port combination, or might it be an HTTP URI if this protocol is being
>> used in connection with BOSH?
> We don't need XEP-0198 in BOSH because there we have 'rid' attributes
> and such (in fact XEP-0198 borrows some of its ideas about managing the
> connection from the BOSH spec).
>
> So I would say that in XEP-0198 the client will only ever be told to
> reconnect to an IP address or hostname, using standard XMPP methods (TCP
> binding).

We may not have a need for the stream ack'ng or stream resumption,
necessarily (though I might be willing to argue a case for the latter),
but I still think the 'location' bit could be useful. It seems totally
reasonable that your description to Kim for the usage of 'location' when
load balancing client connections could apply to BOSH-based connections,
as well.

Cheers,
Ben