[Standards] finishing the file transfer suite

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Feb 14 23:38:34 UTC 2011

> In Brussels last weekend we had some good discussions about file
> transfer. I'd like to see us stabilize this suite of specs in 2011, and
> the XMPP Council agreed when it discussed priorities and roadmap a month
> or two ago. Here is where I think we stand (I've listed these roughly in
> the order I think makes sense for completing the work):
>
> 1. XEP-0047: In-Band Bytestreams
>    http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0047.html
>
> Version 1.3rc2 is at http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0047-1.3.html
>
> I think this is ready to move ahead, but it would help for a few folks
> on this list to provide a sanity check. This one is somewhat independent
> of the other specs, so it can move ahead first. (Perhaps along with
> XEP-0261?)
>
> 2. XEP-0261: Jingle In-Band Bytestreams Transport Method
>    http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0261.html
>
> Are there any open issues with this one?

I've taken a quick look at 47 and 261.

I think 47 is ready to be approved by the Council as version 1.3.

Regarding 261, as I recall, we had some discussion about whether to send
the IBB <open/>. I think we had agreement to do so (especially because
we might want to have multiple IBB sessions under the same Jingle
session -- although does that add unnecessary complexity?). However,
some aspects might be underspecified right now, e.g., what if the
<open/> element has different values for the 'block-size' attribute?

https://stpeter.im/