[Standards] XEP 184 clarification request

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.com
Wed Feb 16 00:01:52 UTC 2011

XEP 184 says:
   The <received/> element SHOULD be the only child of the <message/> stanza and SHOULD include an 'id' attribute that echoes the 'id' attribute of the sent message.

While it fairly clear (to me) from the context that this SHOULD applies to recipient who is generating the receipt, a client developer recently suggested by his comments to me that he believed the sentence implied that entities forwarding the receipt SHOULD NOT add elements to the receipt stanza.  Hence, I think a bit of clarification would be appropriate.

I suggest this sentence be slightly reworded and a clarifying sentence be added.

-- Kurt