[Standards] XEP-0198 status

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Feb 18 02:47:55 UTC 2011

> On 2/17/11 3:05 PM, Ben Schumacher wrote:
>> Peter earlier mentioned that RFC3920bis refers to RFC5952 which
>> recommends using square brackets around an IPv6 address:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-22#section-4.9.3.19
>>
>> This is what I was suggesting as well. I think the host:port notation is
>> quite common and [IPv6]:port will be, as well, in an IPv6 world.
>
> Right, I will add a reference to that section of 3920bis, and to RFC 5952.

In my working copy I now have:

###

The <enabled/> element MAY include a 'location' attribute to specify the
receiving entity's preferred IP address or hostname (optionally with a
port) for reconnection, in the form specified in Section 4.9.3.19 of
rfc3920bis [9] (i.e., "domainpart:port", where IPv6 addresses are
enclosed in square brackets "[...]" as described in RFC 5952 [10]); if
reconnection to that location fails, the standard XMPP connection
algorithm specified in XMPP Core [11] applies.

###

I've also added a bit more text to the section on resumption...

###

As noted, the <enabled/> element MAY include a 'location' attribute that
specifies the server's preferred location for reconnecting (e.g., a
particular connection manager that hold session state for the connected
client).

Example 9. Server prefers reconnection at a particular location

S: <enabled xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:3'
            id='some-long-sm-id'
            location='[2001:41D0:1:A49b::1]:9222'
            resume='true'/>

If the stream is terminated unexpectedly, the initiating entity would
then open a TCP connection to the receiving entity. The order of events
is as follows:

   1. After disconnection, the initiating entity opens a new TCP
connection to the receiving entity, preferring the address specified in
the 'location' attribute (if any).

[...]

###

See here for 1.2rc2: