[Standards] need clarification about adding own jid to roster

Sebastian Reitenbach sebastia at l00-bugdead-prods.de
Wed Feb 23 13:10:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

as xmpp client developer (coccinella), I want to add my own jid to my roster.
The last time I worked on that, was about a year ago. There I took
RFC3921bis-08 as reference. There in chapter 2.3.3 at the end it stated:

   The server MUST return a <not-allowed/> stanza error to the client if
   the value of the <item/> element's 'jid' attribute matches the bare
   JID <node at domain> portion of the <iq/> element's 'from' attribute
   (i.e., a JID MUST NOT be allowed to add itself to its own roster).

Therefore I was looking into adding some exceptions to handle the own JID in
the roster, or better explained as adding a fake jid to the roster view in the
client. I got a bit distracted with other stuff, and just recently started
again working on that.

now I just looked again to the in the latest revision,  20, of the RFC, and I
read this now:
      Interoperability Note: Some servers return a <not-allowed/> stanza
      error to the client if the value of the <item/> element's 'jid'
      attribute matches the bare JID <localpart at domainpart> of the
      user's account.

So I should understand this statement now as:
Servers should generally allow the client user to add the own JID to the
roster, this is no error anymore. Only older server implementations may not
allow adding the own jid.

If my understanding is right, then this would make my life much more easier
since I don't need to implement exceptions for the own jid.

cheers,
Sebastian