[Standards] Christmas Presence

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 10:49:01 UTC 2011

On 04/01/11 18:35, Justin Karneges wrote:
> I think it's going to have to be (b).  Clients assume a blank slate at session
> start, which is why the bare-jid unavailable works today in the way you'd
> expect.  However, in general, I believe clients treat bare-jid presence as
> referring to a single session with a 0-length resource (residual effect of how
> legacy transports would send out resource-less presence).  So, I would expect
> that existing behavior would be for the client to remove an empty session if
> it exists, but not to touch any other sessions.

As a conflicting data point: telepathy-gabble forgets about any
resources' presence if it gets presence from a bare JID. (Presence of
any type, not just unavailable; in practice this is essentially equivalent.)

So Gabble will basically behave identically with servers which do (a) or
(b). I think in a perfect world servers doing (b) would be unnecessary.

> I agree that dropping dups is fine.  My feeling with presence is that it
> indicates an ongoing state.  The stanza transmission alone is independent of
> this state.  Similarly, it should be possible to intentionally replay presence
> without effect to that state (as servers already do).

I agree that dropping dups is fine, as long as they're exact dups.

--
Will