[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Service Delegation

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jan 10 12:08:23 UTC 2011

On Fri Jan  7 20:14:42 2011, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

I mostly like this, and would encourage the council to accept it,
despite my argument below that it might benefit from radical changes.

Some comments:

1) A minor niggle - I hate using "query" as the <iq/> element. Feels
very old-fashioned. :-)

2) Delegations may need to include a node.

3) The "type" attribute used feels highly underspecified. I suspect
something with a couple of levels of heirarchy, similar to (and
possibly the same as) the disco <identity/> category and type.
Equally, it needs a registry defined, and a human-readable string
wouldn't hurt, so maybe the best option would be to simply use the
same <identity/> element and have done with it.

4) Conceptually, this feels similar to disco#items anyway. We can't
use disco#items directly, though, because we can't include the
purpose in the items listing, which is unfortunate - I do wonder if
we could include a child element of <item/> there to include that
information, though. It could prove useful in other cases:

<iq from='dwd at dave.cridland.net' type='result' id='foo'>
<query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'
xmlns:x='urn:xmpp:tmp:delegation'>
<item jid='dave.cridland at isode.com' name='Work account'>
  <x:delegation category='account' type='registered' purpose='work'/>
  <!-- This item is a delegation to indicate my work account -->
</item>
</query>
</iq>

Or even:

<iq from='dave.cridland.net' type='result' id='bar'>
<query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'
xmlns:x='urn:xmpp:tmp:delegation'>
<item jid='chat.dave.cridland.net' name='Work account'>
  <x:delegation category='account' type='registered'
purpose='continue'/>
  <!-- This MUC service should be used for
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#continue -->
</item>
</query>
</iq>

Note I'm not using <identity/> in this suggestion because - of course
- it won't fit. I assume the existence of a purpose registry, to
indicate some kind of purpose of the entity from the perspective of
the queried entity.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/