[Standards] XEP-0198 status

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jan 12 19:56:51 UTC 2011

In preparation for the XMPP Summit in a few weeks, I'm reviewing the
status of several XEPs and preparing summaries so that we can quickly
come to agreement regarding open issues. First on my list is XEP-0198.

Many moons ago (last June, July, and September) there was a discussion
thread about this spec:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-June/023512.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-June/023525.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-June/023526.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-July/023647.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-July/023649.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-July/023655.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-July/023656.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-July/023648.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023770.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023768.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023769.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023797.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023846.html

I see two main points...

1. Dave Cridland helpfully sent in a patch based on implementation
feedback in M-Link and Psi, analyzed here:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2010-September/023769.html

I don't disagree with anything in the patch, so I think it can be
applied, and will plan to do that soon if there are no objections from
my co-authors. I'll also add Dave as a co-author, naturally.

2. Folks seem to think it would be good to replace the current rule
(based on number of stanzas) with a time-based rule. For example,
Matthew Wild wrote:

   I think the unacked stanza count should be switched for a time-based
   algorithm. Perhaps something along the lines of the BOSH timeout
   handshake...

IMHO that is a good topic for discussion at the Summit, or of course
here on the list before then. It's not reflected in Dave's patch, unless
I'm missing something obvious.

Are there any other issues we need to discuss regarding XEP-0198?

https://stpeter.im/