[Standards] XEP-283

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 03:26:27 UTC 2011

31.01.2011 08:52, tpatnoe wrote:
> Our team is starting work on using XEP-283. Has anyone else looked at this
> and do they see any problems with the spec as it is currently written
> (Version 1.0)?
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0283.html
>
> One item which came up in our discussion, is linking an unsubscribe from an
> old JID to a new subscribe from the new JID with a token. However, we
> decided that just including the new JID in the unsubscribe from the old JID,
> and the old JID in a subscribe from the new JID were enough. A token
> provided no more assurance of authenticity.

What I really don't like in this XEP is that it contradicts the idea of
"keep clients simple". I think we can do the same using server-side
redirects (we have such error type already defined in the core RFC). In
that case a client just need to set a redirect and his/her contacts
should process presence redirects correctly. Also, redirects can be used
for temporary migration and not only for account removal.

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.