[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Notification Inbox

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Jun 1 18:19:26 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 10:37:07 AM XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Notification Inbox
>
> Abstract: This document defines a protocol to manage a notification inbox
> for pending events.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this
> proposal as an official XEP.

Good to see people are thinking about this.  However, I somewhat disagree with
the approach of remote services directly writing into a user's inbox.

My plan (which, admittedly, is not fully realized anywhere yet) is that
entities may monitor a remote pubsub node via normal subscriptions, and one of
these entities could be some sort of tracking service that monitors the node
while the user is offline (we can call this "inbox", but I prefer "tracking
service" in order to stay a little more generic).  Additionally, for cases
like tagging a user whose tracking service is not yet subscribed to the node,
the remote service can send an unsolicited notification.

The above approach keeps remote services simple.  They don't need to care what
may count as an inbox notification and what may not.  They simply emit regular
pubsub notifications.  Interpretation of these pubsub notifications by the
tracker into an inbox-like facility and beyond (e.g. sending emails, SMS, etc
to the user) remains a separate issue.

So, maybe this XEP could be a definition of how a tracker offers inbox
management to a user.  But it would not necessarily define how the tracker
consumes remote pubsub notifications and converts them.

Justin