[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0277 (Microblogging over XMPP)

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:01:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Sergey Dobrov <binary at jrudevels.org> wrote:

> I agree but if file attachment already in XEP we have to specify how
> client could upload it. Am I wrong?

The XEP is in "experimental" status, something being in the current XEP does
not mean it must remain there.

I believe that file attachements are out of scope for microblogging.  Most
microblogging services do not support it, it breaks the whole concept of
"140 characters or less".  If you want to "attach" a photo, upload it to the
web somewhere and include the URL, same as if your microblog were an oggcast
or bittorrent feed.

If you'd like to handle file uploads and albums via XMPP then use an
existing extension for file uploads to a service.  It doesn't need to be
specified here just because Jappix supports it.  This extension already
risks being too complex for wide scale implementation.